Pages

Thursday 3 May 2012

May The Odds Be EVER In Your Favour!

Exam season is fast approaching, and I admit I haven’t started revising! Why? I don’t know if I’m being honest- I have a tendency to put things off until to the last minute, and this can either be a good or bad thing. Most of the time it turns out good for assignments, but now it’s exam season, it can only mean bad things. 

Like most of the student population, I HATE exams, from the small desk in a cramped hall to the actual content of an exam. One thing I've done to help with my loathing of exams is use my love of reading to help me through my exams. It is called How to Succeed in Exams & Assessments, and I use it to give me tips on how to revise effectively based off my learning style. If you want to buy it you can get it from Amazon for a minimum of 1p!

Speaking of my love for reading, I am officially hooked onto The Hunger Games book series. While I’m working at the Enquiry Unit, I take the time to read the book while the phones are quiet. I’ve now finished the series and it has dawned on me that I need to start my revision. I figured I’d give some tips on how I revise and I hope this helps you out in some way.

  • Don’t be afraid of colours! Whenever I revise, I colour code EVERYTHING. I do this for several reasons, but it’s mostly because it makes my revision process more interesting. I mainly write out shortened version of notes I've made in lectures, but others use spider diagrams and mind maps. Either way, there’s no need to be afraid to use a pink pen now and then!
  • Study your past exams. Most exams are written in the same style (and in some cases the same subjects, questions etc). If you study them and spot the similar patterns, you’ll find revising much easier to do. It gives you an indicator of what topics you need to revise and how they will be placed in the exam.
  • Practice your time management. In university, you may be faced with the daunting task of writing 4 essays in 2 hours. Sounds impossible, right? Not if you practice writing out 4 essays in 2 hours, or 1 essay in 30 minutes. I find this technique the most beneficial, especially if I do it on a variety of subjects- in one of my exams last year, one of my practice questions was an actual question in my exam! If that happens to you, then you've done well.

So these are my main tips of revision. They may not necessarily suit you, but try to find what bests suits you in terms of revision style. I shall end the blog the way I started it...

(Thanks to kiranaputri01.blogspot.co.uk)

No comments:

Post a Comment